10 most beautiful cities in Slovenia
When you visit Slovenia, you will see that much of it is a green and mountainous nature of valleys, forests, and rivers. Nature is AMAZING! But besides that, in Slovenia, there are also super nice cities.
Cities like Ljubljana and Bled are surrounded by lakes and forests and feature perfectly preserved medieval and Renaissance buildings.
Let’s take a look at the ten most beautiful cities in Slovenia!
- 1. Ljubljana
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Where to stay – Celica Hostel
- 2. Lake Bled
- Things to do at Lake Bled
- Where to stay – Old House of Bled
- 3. Maribor
- Things to do in Maribor
- Where to stay – Chateau Ramšak
- 4. Piran
- Things to do in Piran
- Where to stay – Hotel Piran
- 5. Koper
- Things to do nearby
- Where to stay – Museum Apartments
- 6. Kranj
- Things to do in Kranj
- Where to stay – Apartment Na Skali
- 7. Bovec
- Things to do in Bovec
- Where to stay – Apartma Zornik
- 8. Kobarid
- Things to do in Kobarid
- Where to stay – Pri Nas Apartments
- 9. Kranjska Gora
- Things to do in Kranjska Gora
- Where to stay – Vila Mojca
- 10. Ptuj
- Things to do in Ptuj
- Where to stay – Muzikafe Bed and Breakfast
10 most beautiful cities in Slovenia
Ljubljana. Aside from having the coolest name ever, this city is also extremely charming. Most of it has to do with how green the Slovenian capital is. It’s surrounded by mountains, has a lazy river running through it, a medieval castle perched on top, and plenty of charming dragon statues dotted around town.
I love Ljubljana, one of the best places to visit in Slovenia.
Things to do in Ljubljana
I’ve already written a post about the best things to do in Ljubljana, but here are the highlights you won’t want to miss:
- Ljubljana Dragon Bridge – A bridge decorated with four huge dragon statues (an amazing sight!)
- Metelkova – An area of hipster art and former military barracks in the center of Ljubljana with lots of street art, clubs, and studios.
- Ljubljana Castle – An imposing beast that can be seen anywhere in the city. Going up to the castle gives you incredible views of the city. You can also go up by cable car if climbing those steep stairs isn’t your thing (I don’t blame you).
Where to stay – Celica Hostel
This hostel was once, and for 100 years, a political prison in Ljubljana. You can stay in your private cell and explore the rest of the prison-turned-hostel. They have a barbecue, cocktail night, and a garden and dining room.
2. Lake Bled
Bled is a city in Slovenia with the most beautiful lake. Lake Bled is very special and certainly one of the best places to visit in Slovenia.
It is a quiet little town of medieval, gothic, and renaissance buildings and streets lined with great cafes and restaurants. Plus, it’s super easy to get from Ljubljana to Bled.
Things to do at Lake Bled
Not surprisingly, many of the best things in Lake Bled have to do with the lake itself. The good thing is that the city is located on the very edge of Lake Bled. Here are some of the best sights:
- Visit Bled Castle – The 1,000-year-old Bled Castle sits on top of a rock. You can see the entire lake and the city in the distance from the castle. If you are wondering what to see in Slovenia, this should be on your list.
- Try the Bled cake – This fantastic local dessert is a delight. It’s a cream cake made with rum and lemon rind – a must-try local food!
- Row to the Church of the Assumption – You can rent your rowboat and head to the church on an island in the heart of the lake. You can even have a small picnic.
Where to stay – Old House of Bled
A beautiful hotel in the city of Bled, just 300 m from the lake. It is an old Renaissance building completely renovated and very charming. Stone walls and wooden furniture make for a picturesque stay in Bled.
Despite the popularity of Bled, Maribor is Slovenia’s second-largest city. The whole place has the charm and beauty of a living piece of Renaissance art.
Wine is one of the aspects that define Maribor Slovenia and its surroundings, and it is one of the best-preserved old towns in Europe.
Things to do in Maribor
- Visit the Old Vine House – You cannot come to Maribor, Slovenia, and not see the oldest vine in the world for yourself. This 440-year-old plant continues to make wine, now reserved for gifts to important visitors to the country.
- Maribor Cathedral – This 900-year-old cathedral was originally built in a medieval design and later refurbished in a more gothic style.
- The Plague Column – A 300-year-old monument to the lives lost during the plague. A stunning piece of art and a worthy reminder of how precious life is.
Where to stay – Chateau Ramšak
This luxurious vineyard campsite features a hot tub, total relaxation, and a continental breakfast each morning.
17 Best Beaches in Italy to Visit This Summer
Once upon a time, Piran was a sleepy fishing village. Today it is one of the main tourist destinations in Slovenia. Piran is defined by its impressive Venetian architecture, amazing wellness spas, and delicious local cuisine.
It may interest you:
Things to do in Piran
- Tartini Square – The first place you’ll want to visit to get an idea of the city is Tartini Square. It is the wheel on which the rest of the city turns. It also has a bell tower that you can climb to see the city.
- Take a boat ride – Sailing on a boat from the port gives you that feeling of freedom and a great photographic angle of Piran.
- St. George’s Church – A magnificently carved Renaissance church sits on the water’s edge.
Where to stay – Hotel Piran
A beautiful 4-star hotel located on the water’s edge and just 100 meters from Tartini Square. The hotel also has an aromatherapy boutique where you can enjoy saunas and massages. Find the latest prices here.
Koper is the oldest city in Slovenia and one of the few on the coast. An area of Koper is known as the old town and was originally Venetian. Over the years, it has been restored, but history is still felt at its core.
There are also surrounding beaches close to town, so bring your bathing suit!
Things to do nearby
- Climb the bell tower – One of the best things you can do when you arrive in a new place is to climb the tower or the tallest building and get an idea of the place. In Koper, that place is the bell tower.
- Praetorian Palace – An 800-year-old seat of power with a Venetian Gothic design with white walls, beautiful carvings, and gargoyles.
- Cathedral of the Assumption of Mary – A great cathedral that stands for 800 years. It is probably the most beautiful piece of architecture in the area.
Where to stay – Museum Apartments
Located near the water’s edge, this modern apartment in an old stone building is a stunning mix of styles. You have a spacious house, complete facilities, and an Italian breakfast every morning. And yes, Italian. It is 8 km from the border with Italy.
Kranj, in Slovenia, is a very forgotten little town. It’s between Ljubljana and Lake Bled, so many people pass by, but few go. And it’s a shame. From Kranj, Slovenia is open for you. You can easily get to Ljubljana, Bled, and the Vintgar Gorge, and Kranj is a truly idyllic place on its own.
Things to do in Kranj
- World War II Tunnels – Built-in 1944, these tunnels were meant to be used in case of air raids. Nowadays, you can head to the city and explore them yourself. When it comes to what to see in Slovenia, this is one of the unique experiences.
- See local art – The art center, Layer House, displays some of the best art by Slovenian poets, painters, and photographers.
- Hike the Canyon Trail – Go outside town to find a nature trail along the Kokra River.
Where to stay – Apartment Na Skali
A cozy and private apartment in the very center of the city, with all the furniture and comfort you need to feel completely at home.
6 ideal exercises to tone the inner part of the thigh
The charming town of Bovec is located on the edge of Slovenia’s Triglav National Park. The park is reason enough to visit and stay for a few days. The views of the wild and rugged Slovenian mountains from every fairway are amazing.
Things to do in Bovec
- Rafting: Get out of the city and into the Soca Valley, where you can try your hand at rapids (if you dare).
- Cliff Jumping: Many river areas are calm pools with rocks jutting above, natural springboards!
- Hike to Virje waterfall: A short hike from Bovec will take you to the beautiful Virje waterfall, a very peaceful place.
Where to stay – Apartma Zornik
A beautiful and grand building in the green hills of Bovec. Here you have a spacious and modern apartment to yourself, with enough space for a family.
Just a 20-minute drive from Bovec, you will find Kobarid, a city with a rich and deep history. The Battle of Caporetto, for example, was commemorated in Hemingway’s masterpiece A Farewell to Arms. 10 most beautiful cities in Slovenia.
Kobarid is located in the beautiful Soca Valley, a must-see area with spectacular landscapes that you should not miss during your trip to Slovenia.
Things to do in Kobarid
- Kobarid Museum – The First World War defines this city, and in this museum, you will find exhibits that show some of the war events that affected this city.
- Napoleon Bridge – An amazing bridge that crosses over the Soca River, just outside of Kobarid.
- Xpoint is an agency that can take you to the river for rafting, kayaking, and other exciting water sports. They can take you there if you want to do really exciting things in Slovenia.
- Kozjak Waterfall – A beautiful waterfall hidden inside a cave, a few kilometers from Kobarid.
Where to stay – Pri Nas Apartments
This cabin has surrounding gardens and views of the mountains. Here you are 800m from the river, and you have a bright and beautiful apartment.
9. Kranjska Gora
Kranjska Gora is an alpine winter resort famous for being one of the best places to ski in Europe. In addition to skiing, you can also visit an impressive Russian chapel, originally built by prisoners of World War 1, and the beautiful Lake Jasna.
Things to do in Kranjska Gora
- Hiking – There is over 100km of hiking trails to explore the hills and mountains of this wilderness area. Hiking itself is one of the best things to do in Slovenia.
- Visit Lake Jasna – A lake surrounded by lush forests and steep hills. You can swim here or relax during the day.
- Dine at Milka Restaurant – A serene spot overlooking Lake Jasna serving a variety of delicious local specialties.
Where to stay – Vila Mojca.
A very modern apartment, with a huge TV and a fireplace. You will feel at home in a beautifully decorated apartment in the rugged heart of Slovenia, Kranjska Gora.
This quiet place is one of the lesser-known cities in Slovenia. It is a small paradise of rural life and ancient architecture. What was once a key location for the Roman Empire as it moved through Slovenia is now a charming, picturesque town of colorful houses and a hilltop castle.
Things to do in Ptuj
- Visit the oldest winery in Slovenia: Ptujka Klet is a winery dating back to the 13th century! Here you can learn about the long history of wine construction.
- Explore Ptuj Castle – A short walk from the city takes you to one of the oldest castles in the country, from where you can get a view of the entire city.
- Visit the Orpheus Monument – In the Slovenian square of Ptuj stands an almost 2,000-year-old marble monument, eroded by time and all the more epic.
Where to stay – Muzikafe Bed and Breakfast
Bright and colorful rooms with the feel of a Spanish villa. Live local music evenings. A beautiful porch with views of the city. This place is a little haven in the middle of Ptuj.
It may interest you:
What do you think of the most beautiful cities in Slovenia? By the way, don’t forget to try Slovenian food on your trip to the country. It is exquisite!
17 Best Beaches In The Balearic Islands Complete Guide 2022
10 most beautiful cities in Slovenia